Friday 27 December 2013

My Book Collection (With Mini Reviews)

Hello There!
So I realised that I keep talking about books and the different books that I have but haven't talked about my book shelf (or the lack of it) and the variety of books I have. I, also, unfortunately cannot review all the books I have because their is just too many so, whilst I introduce you to the books that I have in my possession, I shall give my opinion in short of each book and rate it for you guys - like a mini review. Remember that I have had some of these books since I was six so don't be too surprised in seeing a book aimed at a younger audience.


 Here are all the books I have together


These books are the one off books that I own either because they were planned as one-offs or because I haven't yet brought the sequels (or may not want to)

Books in This Stack That I Have Enjoyed:
  • Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot (Meg Cabot is one of my favourite writers and I loved this book so much so much so I can quote some of the lines in it. 8/10)
  • Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (Have had this book since I was seven and this was the book that got me obsessed with books and writing. I have read this book so many time and cannot praise it enough. My favourite book of all times and would highly highly recommend it. 10/10)
  • When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman (Have read half of it and enjoyed it, will go back to finish the book soon. 7/10)
  • How to Handle Your Dad/ How to Handle Your Mum by Roy Apps (One of my favourite books since I was a child, funny and relateable - 8/10)
  • Alone on A Wide Wide Sea by Michael Mopurgo (This one just pulled at my heart strings and I adored the protagonist. Would recommend it. 8.5/10)
Books From This Stack I Thought Was Okay:
  • Charles Dickens; Oliver Twist and other tales by Valerie Wicking (Good detail on each story but seems like its for the younger audience and has really bad corny jokes in it *que the eye roll* 6/10)
  • Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fatteh (A relateable storyline, just wished the author was more enthusiastic and less cliche with her choice of writing style - 6/10)
  • Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (Mind boggling plot but wasn't well written in my opinion and was overly hyped up about - 7/10)
  •  Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus (Had a cringe-worthy obsession with her. The auto-biography was good though and did like seeing life from her perspective before she turned all weird on us. 7/10)
  •  I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammanti (A bit slow at the beginning but was a decent book to read, if you liked Of Mice And Men you will definitely like this book - 6/10)
  • Extreme Kissing by Luisa Plaja (Not as bad as it sounds, alright book, wouldn't read it again - 5/10)
Books in This Stack I Thought Were Bad:
  •  Night World; Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness and Enchantress by LJ Smith (Don't remember most of it but the things I do remember isn't at all positive - 4/10)
  •  Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy by Ally Carter (Ew. 1/10)
  •  The Host by Stephanie Meyers (Overly hyped up about, badly written and I despice the author. 4.5/10)
  • The London Mystery by Siobhan David (Don't remember the plot line and don't plan on reading it again, very boring - 2/10)
  • The Scorpio Race by Maggie Steifvater (Bitterly disappointed with this book as Maggie is one of my favourite authors of all time. It just didn't make me want to turn the page. 4/10
  • High School Musical - Poetry in Motion by Alice Alfonsi (Cheesy. - 1/10)
  • Diary of a Would Be Princess by Jessica Green (Main character made me smile as she's cheeky as cheeky can get for a child but story line was boring 4/10)
  • The Cheetah Girls One World (cheesy and just basically pictures of them posing. Ew. 0/10)
  • Truly Madly Megan by Karen McCombie (Not good at all. 1/10)
Books in This Stack I Don’t Remember Reading:
  • An Urgent Message of Wowness by Karen McCombie (Don't remember what this book was about. Most likely one of those books that you read once and never read again)
  • Bliss by Karen McCombie (Don't remember what the plot line was but remember reading this book a lot. Must have enjoyed it.)
Books in This Stack I Haven’t Completely Read Yet:
  • Evernight by Claudia Gray (Haven't completely read the book yet but what I have read I didn't like, badly written and bad plotline - 3/10)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones (Have yet not finished it but don't plan to do so anytime soon. Wasn't my cup of tea though. 5/10)
Books in This Stack I Haven’t Read Yet:
  • Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rich Jordan (Haven't read yet but plan on reading soon)
  • Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton (Havent read yet)
  • Pear Shaped by Stella Newman (Haven't read yet but is on my to-do list)
  • Dead Kiss by Daniel Waters (Haven't read yet)
  • Carries War by Nina Bawden (Haven't read it yet but have had it for a while)
Books in This Stack That Have A Sequel That I Haven’t Read Yet:
  • Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (Overly hyped up about, was good, but not that good. Not planning on reading the sequels. 7/10)
  • Ashes by Ilsa J Bick (couldn't put this book down and throughly enjoyed it and want to buy the sequel - 8/10)
  • Slated by Teri Terry (Thoroughly enjoyed this book and the writing style, I applaud the writer. Need to buy the sequels - 8/10)
  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Really liked this book and its characters, need to buy the sequel. 8/10) 


Darkest Power bookset by Kelley Armstrong.
This series was alright and I guess I did enjoy it, it's just the writing style and the plotline has been done so many times and the story was predictable. I didn't find the girl relateable at all but did like her love interest *wink wink*
Overall would give this book series 7/10


 Of Fire and Ice series George R R Martin
Have skimmed through the books and thoroughly enjoyed it, I loved the plot line and the characters were so detailed you could just imagine them right before your eyes, love the tv show and need to buy the rest of the series.
Overall I would give this series 8/10

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield
This series was one of those "I read it but wouldn't read it again unless I was really bored" series. The characters were "meh" but the plotline was good.
Overall I would give this series a 7/10

The Perfect Chemistry series by Simone Elkeles
I'm not normally into non fantasy and science fiction based books but these were really good and have opened my mind and eyes to other books. I really liked this series and found the characters so relateable and likeable, especially Carlos (<3.<3). Simone has made a trailer on Youtube and I would highly recommend watching it if you're interested in this series.
Overall I would give this series 8/10

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
This series should have been one I loved as it had dragons in it, (and dragons are cool) but it just didn't mesh with me. The writing was "meh", the plot was slow but good but, in my opinion, the story could have done with a bit of va va voom.
Overall I give this series 7/10

The Angel series by LA Wetherly
This series was, again, one of those you read and liked but completely forgot about after you picked up another book. Plot was alright, too much romance in my own opinion, main proganist too much of a damsel in distress but the books were well written.
Overall I give this series 6/10

Inside Out by Maria V Snyder
This series storyline was good but it could have been way better with a strong antagonist and more romance.
Overall I give this series a 7/10

 The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers
There was too many shiny vampires, unrealistic scenes, horrible protagonist who makes me want to vomit and shitty antoganist to name some negatives about this series, I just didn't take to it. Gah. All I am going to say is that I would take Jacob, with his six pack and himself being a wolf than Edward, who is more feminine than Bella (and that'saying something) and who glows in the light anyday.
Overall I would give this series 4/10

The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
One of my favourite book series of all times and I don't think the "New York Best-seller" title does it justice enough. I really despise the fact that its called "Vampire Academy" as, when people hear vampire, they automatically think of Twilight *que the disgusted look* Vampire Academy is way better than Twilight and has real vampires in it, not ones who glow in the light. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it, don't let the title fool you.
Overall I would give this series a 9/10

The Forever series by Maggie Stiefvater
Meh.
Overall I give this book 6/10

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
I read these books wayyyyyyy before the films came out and I stand by that. I loved this series before the film came out and I think its one of those books that even though you finished the whole set and had read the ending, you still want more. Hats off to Suzanne Collins.
Overall I give this book series 8/10

I am Number Four series by Pittacus Lore
These were an alright read. I liked the first book a lot but after reading two more in the series my interest for these books faded. Storyline dragged and I hated the romantic pairings in this book. 7/10

House Of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast
It wasn't the Morganville books that I was on about - it was the House Of Night. See how much I despice this series? I didn't even bother remembering the name. I thought the storyline dragged and their was too many characters. I wish I brought one book out of the series instead of the NINE books.
Overall I give this series 3/10


The Torn series by Amanda Hocking
I actually really enjoyed these books even though I initially thought I wouldn't. The characters are meh but its the plot line that makes the books worth while reading.
Overall I would give this series 7/10


The Northern Lights series by Phillip Pullman
I completely forgot that Phillip Pullman was the writer and was pleasantly surprised for a second that he was the author of this series. I adore this writer and grew up reading his books (such as Wide Wide Sea that I mentioned before). The books were such a new experience for me because up until then I only read romance/basically Jacqueline Wilson books and this book, I guess, was what converted me into a fantasy lover. I thought the plot line was unique and absolutely loved the characters in this book. The ending however made me cry - but in a good way.
Overall I give this series 8/10

The Gone Series by ? (Would make sense to atleast put the authors name on the book cover)
I didn't initially get these books. I got them all at once (like an idiot, yet again) and at first, I read a couple of chapters of Gone but couldn't finish it. I just didn't get it. I didn't understand the plot line, I don't understand what the hell the characters are doing in the books, they're all boring, meaningless characters and the plot was just unrealistic. Nonetheless, it has been nearly two years since I've read these books so I may go back and give them another chance.
Overall I give this series 5/10

The Chronicles Of Narnia by C.S Lewis
These books are classics and are on every single bookworms check list. I love the plot, I adore the characters (especially Edmund and Lucy) and, even if it did make me cry, loved the ending. I cannot believe that Susan left her family behind! And yes, it has been quite a few years since I have read these books but I think I have a right to be outraged!
Overall I give this series 8/10

The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Do I need to say anything about this series other than perfection?
10/10

The Divergent series by Veronica Roth
I enjoyed the first book but felt the other two books just let it down. The characters (especially the main protagonist) were relateable and I easily fell in love with them. The plot line was good at the beginning but declined after a while.
Overall I give this series 7/10

Jaqueline Wilson Books
Midnight
Best Friends
Clean Break
Candy Floss
Sister Jodie
Hetty Feather
My Secret Diary
Four Children and It
This was basically my childhood. I was absolutely infatuated with the authors books and felt I could relate to each and every one of the characters back then. Recently however, not so much. But they're still really good reads with simple plots for those of you who just want a quick read.
Overall I would give this set of books 7/10

The Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith
This series was a massive disappointment. Main character is a twat, too much testosterone in the air, and the plot was just prolonged for too long. You can obviously tell it was the author's way of getting people to continue to read her books so she could get money in her bank especially as it came to light that she gave up her rights for these books half way through the series. What an absolute !@#$%^&*. I shall leave it at that or else this will turn into a full on rant.
Overall I give this series a 2/10

Total: 129 (149 - updated on 14/3/2014)

So that's it folks, that is all the books I own. I also wanted to show you my crappy excuse of a shelf which, hopefully, is temporary and I will be able to get proper shelves *hint hint dad, hint hint*




Annie x

No comments:

Post a Comment