Saturday 22 February 2014

Another Mini-Book Haul

Hey there!
So whilst I was looking for a prom dress (and failing miserably) I couldn't help but go into a few book and charity shops (oops). I am really aware that I am nowhere near my target of reading 100 new books this year. I am going to count my ARCs into that number and altogether I have read 17 books. Yikes! As I said, nowhere near my target goal but I do have 10 months to go so hopefully (crossed fingers) I shall hit atleast 75 books.


From The Works I brought The Pledge by Kimberly Derting and Legacy of Kings by Celia Friedman and from the charity shop I picked up City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I had The Pledge on my wishlist as in 2013, this book was raved about. 
Sypnosis: The Pledge is about the country of Ludania and the rule of each class (high, middle and lower) not allowed to communicate to each other due to the fear of an uprising if they did join together. To make sure they lived by this rule, the evil Queen gave each class a language that they're supposed to talk with which the other classes won't be able to understand. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.
I have already read this book so let me know if you want me to do a review on it!

I also brought City of Bones from the charity shop in really good condition which I was surprised about. Again, this is a really well known book which has its very own film adaptation (which I went and watched on the first day of its release). I didn't enjoy the film so much (other than the close ups of Jamie Campbell Bower) and definitely did not like the whole incest plot they decided to throw in there out of nowhere. But, I have been told that the film doesn't follow the books word for word so it still didn't put me off and I brought it. Have any of you guys read it yet? Is it any good?

Sypnosis: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 

The second book I picked up in The Works, Legacy of Kings, isn't one that I have heard about before which intrigued me. The cover is absolutely beautiful, I was literally there looking at the book on the bookshelf in awe. It's just perfect.
The blurb sounded so goooood aswell and its around 300 pages long - score! I genuinely cannot wait to read this book and I am definitely doing a review of it once I have finished the book.

Sypnosis: An ancient enemy has returned to the human kingdoms. These creatures prey on the souls of men - and if they are not defeated, the Second Age of Kings will fall into darkness. Magisters are marshalling their sorcerous powers to form a war alliance but treachery is already eroding its ranks. Magister Colivar is withholding a deadly secret that links sorcerers to the Souleaters themselves. In this time of change, Kamala may finally win acceptance as the only female sorcerer. If she can locate the Soulearers' stronghold, her death sentence may be lifted. Yet to find it she will have to embrace an alien and terrifying birthright.

Update: Oh crap. I just found out that Legacy of Kings is the third book in a trilogy. How frickin' annoying!!!! Why do they not write that down on the cover, its a if they expect us to just know that its a sequel. That's so disappointing. Now I have to decide whether or not the series is worth me looking into and buying the first two books or just giving this book back.

Have you guys read any of these books? Are any of them on your wishlist?


Annie x

No comments:

Post a Comment