Saturday 4 January 2014

Panic by Lauren Oliver (ARC)

Hello There!

Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.



I am in awe of Lauren Oliver after Delirium as the book was just amazing. When I found out she would soon have a new book out, I did a little happy dance. That happy dance turned into full blown crazy happy dancing when I found out that I was able to read the book as an ARC, so, thank you so much Lauren and the publishing house Hodder & Stroughton for making it able for me to read this book. Now, with the gooey stuff over, let's get into the nitty, gritty stuff.

I have to admit that the only reason I actually read this book was because I knew it was by Lauren Oliver. I skimmed through the blurb but it didn't interest me much, it reminded me a little of Hunger Games which was good, but has been hyped about so much its almost painful to even say it without wincing. This is genuinely one of the only books I have enjoyed in the past couple of months and it has rekindled my love for books.

The story was told by two people, Heather and Dodge, who later on became friends. Their story uniquely intertwine together as they both participate in the Panic and are willing to do anything to win. I loved both of these characters but especially Dodge. He was adorable.


He was one of those tall and dark guys that always hang around in the shadows but you never see them interact with people and wonder why. In this book, you see Dodge's point of view and how and why he is a loner. It also shows him blossoming and making friends and even falling in love whilst Panic was happening and I just urgh, I just fell in love. I became infatuated with him because he was smack bang in the middle of perfect. He cared but didn't care too much. He became close with people but not enough to hurt him. He just thought things through and did everything perfectly. I felt for him when he fell in love though. I shall keep it at that or else I will just end up giving way too many spoilers.

I also liked the whole idea of Panic. I expected it to be fantasy based or atleast have some sort of magic or ghost element but it didn't which definitely surprised me as Panic, as I said before, was very similar to Hunger Games in the essence that it was about "the last man standing" and the whole "eliminating players" concept but yeah, it actually succeeded in making a very normal Hunger Games like game without a fantasy element. I just made that sound so complicated. 

I, ofcourse, also loved Lauren Oliver's writing style. It was perfection. It was one of those books that you could read in one easily and not sense the time passing by. It was raw and it made a heck of a lot of my favourite writers writing look bad. If it wasn't for Lauren Oliver's writing, I have to say, I don't think I would have liked the book as much as I did. That's how good of a writer she is. She made kind of a basic plot seem very interesting.

I have two bad points though however but they're quite small. Firstly, what is up with this cover? It has nothing to do with the book. I can tell you now I hate it with absolute passion when this happens. I understand that you want to draw in the reader but I think the reader would be put off even more when the cover has nothing to do with the book. I thought this book was going to be fantasy based as this cover gives off the essence of it but it was just a YA book. Please writers, don't give up false hope. It's so annoying and offputting. Its like someone biting into a cake which you thought would have chocolate in it but instead had raisins in it.



Another thing that bothered me was that Panic was happening in a little town. If it was that popular, surely neighbouring towns would be doing the same or it would be in the news due to so many tragedies. I just don't get it. Surely the outside world isn't that out of it.

So yeah, that is all, I would give this 9/10 as the negative points were only small. 

Annie



No comments:

Post a Comment